Don Rosa in Naples on the papers

Eta Beta eega at supereva.it
Thu Jul 10 23:07:24 CEST 2003

DON

>Cripes. All those newspaper articles about me while I was in Napoli... do
>you suppose they were all as inaccurate as this one?!

Yes, generally speaking newspapers don't bother much with accuracy,
around here, they want scoops and lots of noise...

>I am the father of the Ducks?

BIG is the word. "probably the best Disney author these days" wouldn't
be BIG enough, "father of the Ducks" is...

>I will publish comics in America?

Guess I might've been a tad too literal with these translations...
I actually meant it to show how bad the original article was in
italian already... :-)

What they meant here is that your stories would soon be published
in the States again, not that you would be the publisher yourself.

>I said Naples was just as I expected it? I don't talk much?

As far as I can tell, neither Barks ever said "it's all different",
and we know he was well documented himself...

>Didn't anyone translate the newspaper headline-articles about me after my
>wife was robbed by a pursesnatcher? Those would be fun to read.

I've heard that appeared in newspapers, but didn't have a chance
to read it myself. The incident was reported faithfully in a
comics magazine, though, as you know.

That said, I must make clear that these translation I did were
from the *local*, Naples only, section of "Repubblica", which is
one of the most important italian papers and which, in the
nationwide section, every now and then offers serious, decent
and well documented articles about comics and authors.

It's just that the local crews are... well, limited...

Here's an anecdote from the local paper here, from Trieste (that's
a "whole" local paper, not a section).

Months ago we celebrated 70 years of Disney comics in Italy, and
this paper, "Il Piccolo" (The Small One), headlined in its first page

"70 years of Disney comics in Italy : A success born in Trieste !"

If you bothered to read the actual article inside, which not many
people seem to do these days, you'd realize the main connection
between Disney comics and Trieste is that the *brother* of Giove Toppi,
who drew a few Mickey strips in the early 30s, had lived in Trieste for
a few years, and no less than TWO current italian Disney artists
were born there... :-)

What really bugs me is they insist on calling this "information"...

Cheers!

Eta Beta