Barks paintings at World's Fair of Money

mas mas at nic.nu
Fri Jul 11 21:30:02 CEST 2003

I don't know if this is relevant to the list or not, but I thought it
interesting.  This came from an "American Numismatic Association"
announcement.  I don't want to post the whole thing (it's a bit long) but
here are the $crooge related portions:

 > AMERICAN NUMISMATIC ASSOCIATION
 >
 >                 The Million Dollar Nickels Everyone's Seeking,
 >                  Scrooge McDuck and $100,000 Bills in Baltimore
 >
 >          It won't cost a cent to see once-in-a-lifetime billion dollar
 >        display during World's Fair of Money(R), July 30 - August 3, 2003
 >

 >     (Baltimore, MD)--Four rare, 1913 Liberty Head nickels with a combined
 > value of $10 million will be publicly displayed together for the first
 > time since 1920 during the World's Fair of Money(R), in the Baltimore
 > Convention Center, 1 West Pratt Street, July 30 through August 3, 2003.
 >     In conjunction with the show, a reward of at least $1 million
 > recently was announced for a missing fifth specimen of the famous coin.
 >     But it won't cost a cent to see multi-million dollar nickels;
 > genuine $100,000 denomination bills; $3 million display of original
 > Scrooge McDuck money-related art work and a billion dollars worth of
 > other colorful coins and paper money exhibits.  The World's Fair of Money
 > is free and open to the public.

(eight paragraphs snipped)

 >     There also will be a $3 million collection of 12 original artworks by
 > Carl Barks depicting Disney's Scrooge McDuck in money-related scenes,
 > exhibited by Diamond International Galleries of Timonium, Maryland. While
 > quantities last, young collectors can obtain a free, limited edition
 > Uncle Scrooge comic book certified by Comics Guaranty Corporation (CGC).

(three more paragraphs snipped)

If you want to read the whole thing, drop me an email and I'll send it to
you.  More info about the Fair, visit http://www.money.org/conventiondept.html

- Mark