Name the dogs!

Eta Beta eega at supereva.it
Sat Jul 12 00:28:09 CEST 2003

Hi Are!

>In the "Donald Duck" Sunday page from March 1, 1942 I discovered some time
>ago there was a great in-joke made by Al Taliaferro and/or Bob Karp.

Hey, that's a great find... I never noticed.

Here's the whole sunday, rather largish to allow better reading
of the names (500+ Kb) :

http://www.eega.net/misc/zd_42_03_01.jpg

And for those who are in a hurry, here's just the dogs, enlarged
a bit more :

http://www.eega.net/misc/dogs.jpg

>Winner (= Doc Winner, filled in on different KFS comics in the Hearst
>press.)

Most noticeably, I guess, on Popeye (dunno much about Doc Winner,
I must admit).

>Perhaps this was some kind
>of homage to them from Taliaferro/ Karp?

I guess there's very little doubt, me...

>So in the final panel in this Sunday page - all the angry dogs waiting for
>Donald outside his house - are dogs from those comic strips! At least you
>can see Blondie and Dagwood's dog!

Daisy, center stage (another joke? :-)
And I can recognize Jiggs & Maggie's, too, the small black one on the
far right, and I'm also sure I've seen the large grey dog on the left,
somewhere...

Here's a new fun quiz... name the dogs ;-)

Cheers!

Eta Beta