SV: Walt Kelly surprise in #28

Thomas Pryds Lauritsen thomas at duckburg.dk
Sat Jul 12 13:06:56 CEST 2003

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. wrote:
> <Joakim.Gunnarsson at egmont.se> wrote:
>>Readers of the scandinavian weekly can expext
>>a truly rare gem in #28. (Out now!)
>>A 1948 Giveaway Walt Kelly story that I believe
>>never has been reprinted anywhere before.
>
> Well, I am sure that serious readers as AC Sivebæk, Thomas Lauritsen and
> Søren Krarup Olesen much rather would prefer to see a classic like "Cash
> Flow" that has NOT YET seen print in Denmark and Sweden.

I'm not sure what makes you think of me as a "serious reader," but
please don't try to express my opinions publically, especially when you
haven't discussed them with me.

I *would* like to see AR 106 "Cash Flow" printed in Denmark, yes, but
that doesn't mean that I am not also very happy to see this Walt Kelly
four-pager in print -- especially now, when I'm told that it hasn't been
published anywhere in the world, except in a now very rare(?) American
issue. From a personal point of view, I have already read and own AR 106
in English, so this story is not new to me, whereas the Walt Kelly story is.

Having said that, my guess is that Egmont will publish AR 106 "Cash
Flow" at some point. Next week they will be printing another one of Don
Rosa's earlier stories, D 90147 "On Stolen Time" for the second time,
and they have done so with other Don Rosa stories lately. So when the
times comes for AR 106, it will just be a reprint in Norway and a first
print in Denmark.

Any why D 90147 next week and not AR 106? I don't know, but possible
reasons are that in Scandinavia (in this case i.e. Norway), D 90147
(1991) was originally published before AR 106 (1992) and that AR 106 has
the double amount of pages as does D 90147 so perhaps it wouldn't fit
into next week's issue. But these are only my guesses, of course.

Thomas