New censorship in Majarajah Donald??

lgiver@postoffice.pacbell.net lgiver at postoffice.pacbell.net
Sun Jul 13 00:40:35 CEST 2003

  Gary Leach claimed that at Gemstone they had to make one minor
change in the dialogue for the new Free Comic Book Day
reprint of Majarajah Donald. Harry couldn't find any difference with
Gladstone's DD CBL in Color, #6. I have now searched the same
Gladstone reprint and also Gladstone's DD #279 (May, 1990), and
cannot find any difference with the new Gemstone reprint.
But by re-reading this story carefully, I noticed this story has one
of several Barks' use of Burbank, California (page 11, panel 7) as
the Ducks' home. He did this in his first few years before locating
them permanently in Duckburg, Calisota. Probably not everyone
here knows that the Disney Studios where Carl Barks worked
before drawing comics at home were in Burbank, California.
I grew up in Burbank, about 20 km north of Los Angeles, and
near Hollywood. As a newspaper boy, I delivered a copy to the
guard kiosk at Disney.
So at first it was natural for Barks to presume that the Ducks
lived in Burbank, since obviously they lived at the Disney studios.
Who knows which story this Barks - Burbank quotation is
from:
"Don't! Don't make me walk the plank! Let me go back
to Burbank!"
Best wishes, Larry Giver.