A whole bunch of stuff

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. sigvald at duckburg.dk
Sun Jul 13 02:25:17 CEST 2003

Olaf Solstrand <olaf at andebyonline.com> wrote:

> May I remind that Don Rosa's last visit to
> Scandinavia was in October 2002?

I know that Olaf, the main difference is that he brought Ann with him to
Italy, I can't remember that she has ever followed him to Scandinavia. I
just wanted to tell him that she is welcome here too.

> And, to make it all clear: Can you please
> explain what you mean about "fictional". I ask
> because I'm confused. You say very clearly that
> D 96325 is fictional, but you still use facts
> from this story in your "Lives and Times in
> Duckburg".

All this is carefully explained in my aticle in DDF(R)appet #2, but I can
explain it again - shortly:
When I did "The Lives and Times in Duckburg" I discovered that some stories
didn't fit in the "official" timeline. D 96325 is such a story. It takes
place in 1952 before Flintheart and Magica turned up in Barks' version of
the things. It's a great story! The references to older times in that story
don't contradict the "official" timeline so there is no reason to not
including them in "The Lives and Times in Duckburg". Well, even Barks did
some fictional or immaginary stories - such as when he shows a 6 meter high
guy from Duckburg or populated asteroids.

Hope this saticfies your curiosity, Olaf :-)

> Miss Typefast's

Miss Quackfaster, Olaf! Her name is Miss Emily Quackfaster!

> But, this is Don Rosa. As we have discussed
> earlier, Della according to gave birth to Huey,
> Dewey and Louie at age fifteen.

Della would have been born lates 1923 - HD&L are said to be born in 1940 -
that makes her at least 17...

> ....but still: Why is moral so important?

Ask Egmont or Disney - they are the ones who changes vodka into limonade...

> This is a Don Rosa story. Don't you love Don
> Rosa exactly because he tries to show the REAL
> WORLD? Well, in the real world, immorality DOES
> happen.

Yes, and people does drink stronger stuff than limonade...

> Also: I seem to remember that one CAN be
> married before the age of 18 [in the western
> world] - as long as you have your parents'
> permission and signatures to do so. I may be
> remembering wrong, but...

No, you're reight, but it's not enough with the parents' signaures
acceptance from the authorities are needed too.

> First: But that does not have ANYTHING with
> David Gerstein and others working in ECN to do,
> does it?

At least David was the one who kindly told DCML that "Fiscal Fitness" and
"Rocket Reverie" was eventually about to be published in Scandinavia.

> What I meant to say was: "Please mention author
> and/or story code when talking about a story,
> not just the title". It's not obvious that
> everything we say has to do with Don Rosa.

OK - point taken, Olaf!

> ....and people will still buy them. Because
> it's Don Rosa.

So Don Rosa is important after all, Olaf?
Other times you say that he is *not* more important than other
Disney-artists... Theory (DCML) and practic policy (the market) seems
sometimes to contradict each other, maybe that's what keep confusing me.

Sigvald