Censorship in Majarajah Donald / Larry's Barks quote

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Sun Jul 13 14:17:25 CEST 2003

LARRY GIVER to GARY LEACH and HARRY FLUKS, 12-07-2003:

> Gary Leach claimed that at Gemstone they had to make one minor
> change in the dialogue for the new Free Comic Book Day reprint
> of Majarajah Donald. [...] by re-reading this story carefully,
> I noticed this story has one of several Barks' use of Burbank,
> California (page 11, panel 7) as the Ducks' home.

What is wrong about mentioning Burbank? Why did that need to be
censored?

> [Barks] did this in his first few years before locating them
> permanently in Duckburg, Calisota.

I hope that this is not a reason, standarizing information in
Barks reprints! That would take them out of their historical
context and development.

> Who knows which story this Barks - Burbank quotation is from:
> "Don't! Don't make me walk the plank! Let me go back to Burbank!"

The nightmares story (WDC 101). One of my favourite Barks stories!

Donald: "I'm trapped! I either have to give that talk on crocheting
or throw myself to the sharks!"

And then, Donald continues with: "One side, you hankering herrings!
I know which deal is the least worst!"

:-D

--- Daniël