AW: Walt Kelly

Cord Wiljes cord at wiljes.de
Sun Jul 13 16:47:01 CEST 2003

Steven Rowe wrote:

> Hard to believe that some folks on this list  (or is it  just one
folk?)
> believe that "Walt Kelly" is an unimportant artist.  In the USA, Kelly
> is generally considered one of the greatest comic strip artists of the
> 20th Century ---

In our (German) list of the best comics Walt Kelly is on place 35 (of
100):
http://www.top100comics.de/single_book.php?rank=35

On the list the readers voted Kelly is only on place 450 (of 700):
http://www.top100comics.de/comicvoting_centum.php

To this readers' list not only Germans but many international visitors
(expecially from the U.S.) contributed, so I suppose it can be called
international (with the exception of Asia).

IMO Kelly can and should be recognized as one of the giants of the
field. But today he is no longer popular with the general public.

But then how could he? The Fantagraphics edition is out of print and
foreign editions of his works are scarce probably because his humor is
difficult to translate. Only very few of his strips have been printed
here in Germany.

Cord