AW: Walt Kelly

Cord Wiljes cord at wiljes.de
Sun Jul 13 17:03:53 CEST 2003

Donald D. Markstein wrote:

> I will also wager that he (sc. Walt Kelly) is better known to
> the general public in Europe, than Barks is to the general public in
> America. ALL OVER THE WORLD, Walt Kelly is respected by those who know
> comics, and his name is at least recognized by many who don't.

Just speaking for Germany, I suppose that roughly 0,05% (40.000 of 80
million inhabitants) do know who Walt Kelly was.

Going to a comics convention you will probably meet a better ration of
about
5%.

This reminds me of a joke drawn by Frank Miller ("Batman: The Dark
Knight returns"):
We see the author/artist himself in a crowded public place where he
proclaims: "I am Frank Miller the Comic book artist!" People just ignore
him because nobody knows him. In the end he desperately shouts: "I wrote
the first draft for Robocop II" ;-)

Cord