Walt Kelly

Klartekst info at klartekst.no
Sun Jul 13 17:16:57 CEST 2003

For anyone not familiar with Walt Kelly, I recommend the Fantagraphics
collections of the Pogo newpaper strips, available in comic book stores.

Apart from the beautiful, detailed art (as compared with the minimalistic
'Dilbert'-type drawing styles we see today), what I like best about these stories
is the total absence of any sensible or predictable plot lines. To quote from
the dust jacket of one of the books: "What begins with a sort of  wholesale
courtship of a skunk turns into a brief panic about sea serpents that becomes
a migration West that subjects everyone momentarily to the ministrations of the
resident con man that results, finally, in a cow taking work as a cat."

It doesn't always make a lot of sense, but it's great fun - much like
life itself.

Nils from Norway