AW: AW: Walt Kelly

Cord Wiljes cord at wiljes.de
Sun Jul 13 17:53:51 CEST 2003

Steven Rowe wrote:
> no offense, but any of us can make up satistics

I agree.  So instead of pinning a number to it I will just say: Nearly
nobody here in Germany does know who Walt Kelly was. This is not to say
anything about the quality or importance of his work but just an
observation.

> almost nobody in the usa knows who Herge is either this doesnt lessen
his importance

Popularity has never been a reliable measure for quality. And vice
versa.

Speaking of comics creators known to the general public: Recently I saw
a game show on TV where they asked "Who was the father of the
"Marsupilami"?". The answer was worth 250.000 EUR - so they must have
considered it difficult.

Cord