Walt Kelly / Larry's Burbank quote (PS)

Olivier mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr
Sun Jul 13 20:19:42 CEST 2003

Steven:

>>>In the USA, Kelly is generally considered one of the greatest comic strip artists of the 20th Century ---
>>>  -- certainly his name recognition factor among the general public is well above Barks or Rosa   ---
>>>   sure is odd how things are different.... there is even an annual festival held about Kelly.

And "Pogo President" campaigns too ("I go Pogo").
A very touching hommage to Pogo in Alan Moore's take on "The Swamp Thing" has already been noted. Could make for a cute li'l gag in a duck story set in the Okefenokee.

>>>on the other hand, his record album is back in print and available - through Amazon and the other usual outlets

I saw that recently as I checked again for available Pogo books.

Nils:
>>>what I like best about these stories
>>>is the total absence of any sensible or predictable plot lines.

Incredible. He jumped and skipped and hopped from one idea to another in less than an eyeblink, bouncing on distorted or mispronounced words, introducing wacky characters and situations in utterly unexpected ways, without it being chaotic at all; it just flowed perfectly smoothly and naturally-- quite an achievement.

I've scanned two favorites of  mine and uploaded them for your pleasure:
http://bobcat74.free.fr/kelly/

All the best to all of  you,

Olivier

***** PS: Larry's quote
Larry:
>>>"Howdy, Bud!  I'm from the South, myself -- south Burbank!"

DDA 223, "Lost in the Andes".
Surely one of  Barks' best lines.
Gum anyone?