DCML Digest, Vol 5, Issue 24 - Mark and Bernard

Anders Christian Sivebæk anders_sivebaek at nns.dk
Fri Jul 18 18:10:18 CEST 2003

Hi all

Mark (welcome after 3 years of lurking :-)

>There were some
>mails that I thought, I know the answer to this or I
>can contribute here, but often the question was asked
>AND answered within the same batch of emails (how is
>that done?)
First of all, the same thing is probably going to happen here...
well, you see you can subscribe to DCML in two ways -
get every mail by itself or in digests. i get the digest, as I
suppose you do. Maybe Per would find it appropriate to
tell us how many do it one way and how many the other?

But in any case my advice would be: If you have an answer
to a question - well go on and send it - so what if the answer is
mailed by some different people - you might have some info that
none of the others had!

I know how you probably feel about being able to read duck comics
in your own mother's tongue again - all friends here in that situation:
i's absolutely wonderfull, I presume? :-)
I just ordered a subscription via that danish comics shop today,
except for the first US, as Gary has bought that for me.
But i agree on the prices - it´s probably to high to get younger fans
cought on the stuff. - The Scandinavian publisher has a different strategy
there,
by rightly making the magazine suitable for kids, as was discussed a month
ago
(I am behind on my digests). Because we older fans will buy the whole bunch
anyway! I halfly buy the comics to read them, and they are good stories.
maybe quarterly to have a full collection, but also - and I know it's a
drop in the see,
give my 10 cents to keep them publishing this or that great magazine.

That's not totally true for the monthly extra comic 8called Mickey Mouse
in my
neighbouring countries - and in Sweden it's been bi-monthly for some years)
I once said i wish it would stop - it's mostly reprints and other
not-so-significant stories.
But hey? For the kids, it's the first time they read the things - so if
they like this, the 5th
duck magazine of the month (the usual weekly making the first 4) let them
buy it -
and so will i continue to do. my collection is complete, except for one
issue from 1999...)
I hope they'll eventually have an article page there or such - maybe
telling about the stories
published in the mag.

>Can anyone identify this story, and the three panels
>in particular?
Of course - it´s king Scrooge by Don. You probably know about the other
references to
this classic movie in Don's other comics? In Lo$ chapter 12 the first
pages are really
ripped out of the movie because Don loves it. - In The incredible
shrinking tightwad
the rosebud-sled is somewhere in scrooges storage room.

Bernard

>The other news I've is about that Dream of a Lifetime is finally
>published =
>in the Dutch Donald Duck Extra, nr. 7,5. Because of the holidays, they've
>p=
>ublished an "Extra" DD Extra.
Nice - They did that too with the danish extra in the 80'es two years in a
row...

>And the main story is thus Don Rosa his story=
>. The colouring was normal for Dutch publishin, sometimes the pages were
>br=
>ighter than others. And they've decided to put also the extra recap page
>in=
> the story, at the proper place if it was a multi-part story, whitch it
>isn=
>'t but our Dutch publishers are famous about this sort of stuff...
Well, shows Don's sort of hidden agenda worked - that was exactly the plan
AFAIK - the publishers who notice this page and see that it's meant for
publishing the story in two parts, will cancel it if they publish it in
one part.

And the publishers who... well, i haven't ever found out about the dutch
publisher
and their Extra... they seem to think Don's stories deserve this nice
extra issue...
Well, this publishers readers don't miss anything, as they get a page of
extra,
unncessary gags. The reason the norwegian publisher published this extra
page
of the story? well, maybe they want to give the readers the joy of reading
this
extra page?

>Anyway, I found it a great story!! One of the best you've made Don.
I think I've exclaimed the same here, or personally to Don.
Should don have not started again after the "strike", this would have been
a nice
last story! Really going out with a slam - that last drawing...  Oh, I
wont spoil the joy,
but look forward to it being published in the gemstone-comics :-)

>The only story =
>yet not published in Holland is "Forget It". A bit strange maybe, because
>i=
>t's older than Dream of a Lifetime but I'm sure he'll be published this
>yea=
>r or so.
Maybe they saw the title as an order?? Forget it! - okay the editors say -
the guy obviously wants us to forget about this story - for once we'll
follow orders :-)

(only joking - I'd enjoy actually meeting the dutch editors - I actually
have
heard that they are great duckfans, maybe just not that big Rosa-fans. )

Hilsen/Yours
Anders Christian Sivebæk
Donaldist