Daniël - Rosa and Barks in Netherlands

Anders Christian Sivebæk anders_sivebaek at nns.dk
Sat Jul 19 19:31:59 CEST 2003

Hi all

Daniël:

>> (only joking - I'd enjoy actually meeting the dutch editors -
>> I actually have heard that they are great duckfans, maybe just
>> not that big Rosa-fans. )
I repeat that - i would like to meet them so we could clear up this
long-time misunderstandment, as it probably is.

>Don Rosa's stories are frequently published in The Netherlands.
>The editors seem to desire to publish all stories.
>They are the main stories of many montly Donald Duck Extra.
>They are reprinted in *albums*, which rarely happens to artists
>other than Carl Barks.
>So, what MORE is needed to be equivalent to a "big Rosa-fan"?
I'm being to hard on them - but I just see the different monthlies in
Europe, like Zio Paperone, Donald Duck Sonderheft and Komix -
and compare them to DD Extra - There's nothing much wrong with
the extra, when you look at it as itself (heck, ours is even worse!)
- and the mayoirty of the dutch readers are in that situation.

But when one can compare it looks strange to see a nice magazine -
but with covers made by another atist, or maybe just traced by
another artist. The story inside is printed in one part - but the version
that is meant for publishing in several issues is printed.
Those two things are the only things I see wrong with the printing of Rosa
in the extra - it's not much, but it's there.
But all that doesn't mean that the editors can't be big Rosa-fans -
I wouldn't know, I have no contact with them.

>The Dutch editors have also used improper versions of Barks's
>stories (like missing panels, or even pages).
Does this make the whole thing better, if I may so ask?
Rosa is, maybe to say the most perhaps the heir - an apprentice who
didn't meet the "wizard" untill 1998. -
Barks is, in the yes of many the big master - and they treat the versions
of his stories with the same care? Is it impossible to find the original
prints,
so they could reconstruct what deisappered under resume-boxes or
put in again the pages that are gone? The italian publishers does this -
so why can't the dutch.

>They sometimes change Barks's words in the translations.
Well - translators often do that.
Actually i'd like to know about the dutch tradition of translating!
I've heard about Erika Fuchs and Peter Daibenzeiher (Germany), Per Westrin
and Stefan Diös (Sweden), Sonja Rindom and Niels Søndergaard (Denmark)
and i don't remember more names right now. These people have had different
traditions of translating - either faithful to the original, or maybe more
independant
How are the dutch translators?

>They have used/re-used odd colouring for Barks's art.
Well, I wouldn't accept that happily -

>They redraw Barks's covers.
>Maybe this means they're not much of a Barks fan, either?
I again can't know about that before I meat them.
But it sure doesn't make the case better that they treat the stories of
the master
in the same way as they do with "The new Duckmaster" (That's the name of
a homepage)

But you dutch people have told me before they have this tradition of
redrawng
covers and other things - Only the first couple of albums with
barks-stories had Barks-
covers in Netherland, then it was stopped - Why is that? I'd like to hear
the reason for this
I don't believe that they don't find the many covers that Barks and others
have made
not good enough?

>Here on DCML, the Dutch editors seem to have a bad reputation when
>it comes to Don Rosa. This has been going on for years, as long as
>I can remember. Do they really deserve that bad reputation, given
>the efforts I've just mentioned? Or are there other reasons?
There sure isn't anything more in my criticism than the fact that
*I* think they could put a little more effort into some of these things.
Some of the other dutch Rosa-readers I've mailed with think the same...

But having said all this I do have an almost complete Rosa-collection in
dutch,
why that's why I know about the publications. I'm only missing the newest
extras
and albums.

Hilsen/Yours
Anders Christian Sivebæk