Anticipating DDA/Comment On Paper Used In Comics

ZeldasTriforce@aol.com ZeldasTriforce at aol.com
Tue Jul 22 07:40:08 CEST 2003

Well, it's nice to know that WDC isn't nearly as far behind US as those order
figures indicated. My local shop only gets new comics in on Thursdays, so
I'll guess I'll have to wait until late next week for DDA.

Having just today stopped by the shop and getting a bunch of back issues of
Disney comics, plus the WDC 634(more on that later), I've noticed something
about the paper that's been used in Disney comics over the years. When you
compare a Gladstone Series 1 comic to a Disney Comic(1990-93) or a Gladstone Series
2 comic, the paper in the Series 1 comic is always very yellowed. Even when
comparing the earliest Disney Comics to Series 1, the DC comic is always about
as good looking as when it was made, whereas Series 1 comics have turned from
white to yellow(similiar to what happens to paper used for newspapers, but not
quite as bad). Is this because DC/Gladstone had switched to a higher grade of
paper? That would be my guess comparing Series 1 to DC, but it would be nice
to know if that actually was the case.

Just first impressions of WDC 634: It seems about as good as US 319, which is
good indeed. Especially the Van Horn story and Gilbert/Vicar's Gladstone
story.

Derek Smith