No chipmunks please

Kriton Kyrimis kyrimis at cti.gr
Thu Jul 24 12:49:21 CEST 2003

VIC:

For what it's worth, I'll have to disagree with the sentiment.

I rarely buy comic books just to read a particular story, while I regularly
buy  comic books to read a particular *kind* of story, namely the Disney
comics that all (most?) of us in this list like to read. While I do have a
preference to Duck and, to a lesser extent, Mouse stories, I don't think I
would like an exclusive diet of such stories, as the role of the other stories
is not limited to serving as page fillers or to satisfying younger readers.
Consider, e.g., the old WDC&S: you'd start with a bang with a Barks story,
then you would catch your breath by reading a Lil' Bad Wolf, Chip & Dale or
other lighter story, while still remaining in a Disney atmosphere, then plunge
into adventure with a Murry story. Putting the two main stories together,
without a lighter story or two in between, would have somehow made them less
enjoyable. Something similar happens with the Greek "Mickey Mouse" magazine:
you get two lead stories, one of which is usually by one of the Italian
masters, folowed by a bunch of lighter stories. I usually read the magazine
backwards, last story first, getting into the Disney mood with the lighter
story, then sinking my teeth into the lead stories. "Mickey Mouse" magazine
might have beeen cheaper if it had had half the page count, publishing only
the lead stories, but it would have somehow not been as good. As long as the
main stories are good, I *want* those lighter stories to be there!

	Kriton	(e-mail: kyrimis at cti.gr)
	      	(WWW:    http://dias.cti.gr/~kyrimis)
-----
"I am not interested in the beliefs of primitives--only in what they *taste*
  like!"
-----