Yellow Paper/Lil' Wolves/WDC 634

ZeldasTriforce@aol.com ZeldasTriforce at aol.com
Fri Jul 25 03:20:40 CEST 2003

Rodney wrote:

I read some series 1 Gladstone books the other night, and I was surprised to
find that the paper in them was very white, and these were early issues (WDCS
511 etc.).  The Disney books seem to have dulled a bit in the 10 or so years
since I bought them new.
------------------------------

My experience has seemed to be the opposite. I guess it's just the indivdiual
comics and not any real change in paper.

As for Lil' Bad Wolf, what has the poor lil' guy done to deserve so much
animosity? ;) The few stories I've read of him weren't that bad(a few were
actually good). At any rate, I've yet to see anything of the pup in the Gemstone
comics, so let's not complain about Lil' Bad Wolf until we actually see him.

Now for WDC 634. A great first issue! :) Several good stories in it(though
perhaps a little too slanted to the Duck side). Really, all the stories were
good in their own way. William Van Horn comes through again with a great comedy.
I've never read any of his son's work, so it was interesting to read Noel Van
Horn's Mickey story. I must admit, it won't be an all-time favorite with me,
but the twist near the end, made it different. And Gilbert's Gladstone tale...
nice to see a different side to the lucky cousin. As for Carl Barks' story,
Daan Jipes can draw so much like Bark's, it's truly hard to tell the difference.
This is the kind of Barks tale I like best, one I haven't read before!
(though the story itself had been published in the seventies, I hadn't read that).
Can't wait for US 320/WDC 635!

BTW I talked to my local comics shop owner and he said that basically only
one or two adults had been buying the Disney comics(I'm one, I wonder who the
other weirdo is. ;)  But he had great hopes that the lower priced comics in
September would allow kids to get into Disney comics. But based on those order
figures I found, things weren't so bad for Gemstone's first month and everything
is looking up, especially once September gets here.

Derek Smith