Gemstone's mix Re: DCML Digest, Vol 5, Issue 31

J LeRose jlerose at rtsz.com
Fri Jul 25 18:37:56 CEST 2003

Olaf,
Just to join you, but without tongue in cheek,
I think many critics are missing some great stories by limiting
themselves to Barks & Rosa (both of which are obviously two of my
favorites).
For example "Somewhere in Nowhere" art by Patrick Block (early work at
that)
I'll grant the story was inspired by Barks but Lustig did a great job,
and Barks did choose Block to do the art.
I mention this art by Block especially, since he is scheduled to do more
Gemstones including some "silly" characters.
To me Block is closer to Barks in style than Rosa who while following
the Duck story line is more original with his work.
I have stories and art by over 50 different artists, and some are great,
some are dumb, but by having them we all get more involved and they also
give a good basis for comparison.
Can you imagine if every duck was by Barks or Rosa, it would be like the
movie Judge Dread where every restaurant was a Taco Bell.

Nice response!
Best
Jeff