LARS: Gemstone's mix?

Fabio Blanco longtom at oeste.com.ar
Fri Jul 25 21:40:23 CEST 2003

> As well as collecting Disney comics most of my life, I've also been a big
> collector of Marvel, DC and other comics.  I have a large "super-hero"
> comic collection, and have recently gone through a BIG change in my desire
> to continue with most of those companies' offerings.  Marvel, in
particular,
> has left a very sour taste in my mouth.  I have dropped nearly EVERY title
> and have a strong disdain for that company's management.  Their new
management
> is, to me, likened to the RJ Reynolds of comics.  They seem to feel that
> the older/longtime collectors of Marvel comics are not worth their effort
> and have decided to aim squarely at the younger, hipper new generation of
> collectors.  They have shaken up their titles and the longstanding
character
> continuity and decided to throw the bulk of it away, and have even told
the
> older fans that they believe they are not a reliable source of continued
> revenue (being that we are old and dying).  They feel they must attract
and
> sustain "younger" collectors.  This has pissed me off and I have watched
over
> the past couple years as they have eroded away so much of what I used to
> love about Marvel's characters.  I have dropped all but two titles from
> Marvel.  And given their continued erosion, I may soon drop those as well.

I don't know. At least in Marvel one know what buy. You have the ultimate
line for new readers that'll read again and again the tale of Spidey vs. The
Green Goblin and the Marvel Knights seal with very good writers like B.M.
Bendis, Garth Ennis... you have Brian Azzarello and Corben on the Banner
miniseries, Grant Morrison on New X Men (the issue with Wolverine and
Cyclops drinking in the Hell's Fire Club was amazing!!) and now Neil Gaiman
in 1602.

The matter I can't understand is that Jean Piaget sect who produce dumb,
simple comics for kids... We was kids of the same age when we read Carl
Barks stories!!!

FABIO
agent of the chaos :-)

bonvolu postu al longtom at oeste.com.ar