Scrooge's billionaires club

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Tue Jul 29 16:20:00 CEST 2003

In private, Frank Bubacz and I had a discussion about the creation of
Scrooge's billionaires club. You can read it below. Any information,
questions, or comments, are welcome!

F = Frank
D = me

F> -Scrooge's billionaires club isn't a Barks creation, as he first
F> used it in a story not written by himself: The Christmas Cha Cha!

D> This makes me curious if the billionaires club has been used before
D> "The Christmas Cha Cha!".

F> Actually I learnt in the meantime that there is an earlier (Barks-
F> written!) story that contains something comparable: The Titanic Ants.
F> I don't know, however, if the name 'billionaires club' is mentioned.

D> In the opening panel, Donald says that "today is the date of the
D> Duckburg BILLIONAIRES PICNIC!" I haven't found other references in
D> the story.

Note: The INDUCKS story code of "The Titanic Ants" is "W DD 60-02".)

D> BTW. Barks rewrote scripts, which hasn't always been documented. If
D> "The Christmas Cha Cha!" is the first story with the club, then there
D> still might be a chance that it was created by Barks.

F> The chance is there, but my instincts tell me it wasn't Barks' idea to
F> use it in that story, because he would probably have given it more of a
F> function. (Or does it have? Can't really remember...)

D> If I remember well, the club has a function. Scrooge is worried about
D> the bad reputation of the club, and then the club lures him into doing
D> something about it by giving away a prize for the best dancing couple.

F> Still, it was not really necessary to use the club, because Scrooge
F> could have been worried about his own reputation instead. In the 'Ants'
F> story there is a reason for it to be included, as Barks seems to have
F> aimed for the main sight gag of upper class snobs in embarrassing
F> situations.

Note: This is the point were Frank and I agreed to continue the discussion
here, on DCML.

--- Daniël