Guardians of Lost Library (was RE: DCML Digest #62 & 63)

The Fenske's dbfenske at telus.net
Sun Jun 1 11:15:46 CEST 2003

Don Rosa wrote:

>I say all this in safety since I figure you'll forget it all by the time you
>read the story in 9 months (Europe) or a year or two (America)(if ever?).
>The only thing that keeps me going is that I recall that one other adventure
>that I was certain was a dreadful mistake from start to finish was "The
>Guardians of the Lost Library", a story which some readers have said was
>their favorite Duck story ever and a few have even said it was their
>favorite comic book story they'd ever read, period (take that with a grain
>of salt -- you know there's NO accounting for tastes!).

Hey, I loved "TGOTLL."   All the fascinating historical tidbits reworked into
a sort-of mystery story with a hoot of an ending.  And as I recall, it had some
very funny sequences in it as well.  I was so impressed with it I read it
to two
of my younger children (about 4 and 7 at the time), but they did not share my
enthusiasm.  Definitely an adult story.  Anyways, if the new one is
anything like
that, I say bring it on... I'm only sorry I'll have to wait 1-2 years (if
ever?) to see it
in the new Gemstones.  Maybe they'll publish it early, as it follows another of
your unpublished-in-english stories.

>Also, I could not
>help but take notice, as I researched this tale, of that "Philosopher's
>Stone" original by Barks, which was one of my TOP favorite adventures when I
>was a kid. If you look at it carefully, you see that there's no action and
>precious little humor in that tale... just solving clues and going from
>place to place. And yet I LOVED it. So......
>The proof will be in the pudding.......

I too loved this Barks story as a kid.

>A great story, very well constructed and brimming with gags. And it has one
>of the neatest surprise endings I have ever seen in a comic book (if you
>didn't get it, study the last panel very carefully).
>Quite a heavy message for a comic book 'just for kids'.
>Anyway, that's how I read the story. Any other comments?
>
>Yes. I say the author stole the basic plot from a favorite, though obscure,
>movie of his named "Passport to Pimlico", Ealing Studios, Great Britain,
>1949. He's always lifting ideas from favorite old movies and old comic
>books. The cad. A pox on him.

Is this available on video or DVD?  I am finally getting the Part 4 album
of your early stories (my first ebay acquisition), so I'm looking forward
to reading that one as well.

Dave Fenske