Desert island Disney

David Gerstein ramapith at mail.dk
Sun Jun 1 21:38:29 CEST 2003

    Hey, gang...

    Let's see here. If I had to give up all but three issues of Disney
comics, what would they be?
    Answering as David Gerstein, private citizen (not on behalf of anybody
at Egmont!):

    1) Gladstone Giant Comic Album Special #7. Contains Floyd Gottfredson's
"Monarch of Medioka".
    Political satire in turn rollicking and cynical meets an emotional,
intelligent Mickey at his apex as a character. We get an unprecedented look
at the fear and tension‹ the uncomfortable and scary acknowledgement of
inexperience‹ that lies on the underside of Mickey's optimism and
determination. We also see the the strong emotional bond between Mickey and
Minnie that, day-to-day fights notwithstanding, holds them close as a most
human couple.
    Reading this story for the first time (1990), I finished it unable to
believe how good it really was. Naturally, I poured myself another glass of
juice, settled back down in my chair and started over from page one.
    Gottfredson's best work touches my inner being. Or something profound
like that.

    2) CBL in Color Album: Donald Duck Adventures #10. Combines "Lost in the
Andes" and "Voodoo Hoodoo".
    There are just so many reasons to like each of these stories. "Andes"
presents on the one hand a brilliant satire of cultural imperialism; and on
the other a wonderful, honest appreciation of human warmth. The Plain
Awfultonians "had so little of anything, yet they were the happiest people
we have ever known!"
    "Voodoo Hoodoo" meanwhile shows Barks' ability to turn the bugbears of
our imaginations into a source of dark comedy. Having seen a zombie movie,
Unca Carl was inspired to his own tale of the undead by the idea that
zombies were really "ideal stooges for anyone who needed a dangerous job
done cheaply". Heh, heh.
    "Hoodoo" is my favorite Barks story; once again, the first time I read
it, I finished on the last page and impulsively began again from the first.

    3) Another vote for Don's "His Majesty McDuck". Others on the list have
already described its various salient qualities, so I'll be lazy, stand back
and say ‹ yeah, yeah, that's right, I agree!

    4) There aren't supposed to be any 4s, but jockeying for space are OS
#129 (Brer Rabbit); WDC&S #65 (my favorite Buettner Wolf story); WDC&S #104
(my favorite Turner Wolf); any of several Egmont Magicas with Geoffrey
Blum's American dialogue; and lots more of Barks and Gottfredson ("Only a
Poor Old Man", "The Bar-None Ranch", and "MM in the Foreign Legion" being
the top choices).
    What, no Fethry?! Actually, I think the *character* himself is of higher
quality than most of the *stories* he's in. Okay; let's say (Australian) G
#338, with "Weaving and Ducking" and a couple other early tales.

    * * * * *

    DANIEL:
    Okay, the Barks quotes. Isn't the one about whaling the blazes from
WDC&S #64, where the nephews have been exploiting Donald's New Year's
resolution?
    Can't place the flea remark, though I can think of a similar one about
goats.

    David Gerstein