Vol 4, Issue 3 (Developing a new readership for the Gemstone comics)

Chuck Munson chuckm_1962 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 2 02:13:32 CEST 2003

Rob McCallum brought up the critical point concerning
the survival of Disney comic books in the US: no
matter how much exposure they get, is there enough
interest to make them viable?  Personally, I believe
that there are several items which will influence
this.  Please understand that the pessimism from which
I approach my descriptions below is born from
conversations and observations over the years,
especially, ironically enough, in my role for eight
years at one of the Disney-owned Disney Stores here in
the US.  I hope and pray that I am wrong on all
counts, nothing would please me more than to be so.  I
would like them to still be around when my daughter
reaches reading age in about four+ years.

First, the lack of esteem held for "funny animal"
comics in the US.  When the general public thinks of a
comic book they are more likely to think of a super
hero book and will not even consider that a "funny
animal" or Disney comic could have a storyline that
would hold the interest of anyone past five.  That's
right, I've seen kids lost from Disney, anything
Disney, by age five, possibly with the exception of
the theme parks and animated features.  Plus, they are
not getting any reinforcement about Disney comics from
their parents; you would now have to go back two
generations to find that in any great amount.

Second, a general lack of reading among the populace.
Knowing how to read is one thing, taking the time to
read is another.  Too many competing distractions for
what has become a very structured life for most middle
class American kids.  Most parents try to involve
their children in as many activities as the kids can
take without overdoing to keep them occupied (i.e.,
from getting into trouble).  The thought of letting
the kids read a comic (a bad thing) as opposed to a
"real" book with what little time for reading they
have outside of homework and other obligations would
strike these parents as ludicrous if not insane.  The
non-stop activity of the child mirrors the frenetic
pace of the parent.  There is, of course, the opposite
extreme: the child who refuses to touch any reading
material past homework and that only if unavoidable.

Third, cost of the new books.  I am not talking the
prestige books, but rather the take-along format
proposed for the large retailers (WalMart, Target,
etc.) and soft cover Donald and Mickey titles in
September.  Given items one and two, it is highly
unlikely that a parent would spend the dollars
necessary to provide these books to their children in
an economy which seems from my end to be putting
incredible economic pressures on our much-vaunted
middle class.  If these parents are in the 25-35 age
range, then they probably remember comics in the 30
cent to 95 cent range, if they recall them at all.  I
suspect there will be a big disconnect from reality
when they are presented with Disney comics at $2.95,
$6.95 and $7.95.  It will be difficult to convince
them that these comics meet and exceed their personal
"cost benefit ratio"!

There are probably other factors, but I need to get
back to work.  Yes, I'm one of those Americans whose
job demands that I work weekends.  I wonder when
*I'll* get the time to read the new Disneys when I
finally have them in my hands!

Take care all and enjoy your weekends,
from another "nostalgic geriatric",
Chuck Munson