Generation gap in America

Katie Sullivan vazali at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 2 18:45:10 CEST 2003

Hi, all!
I was active on this mailing list in the late 1990s but dropped
out when I started college, due to time constraints.  I
graduated with a degree in Literature last month, so I'm back!
I've been lurking for awhile now but didn't see anything I felt
I had to respond to...until now!  :)

"Plus, they are
not getting any reinforcement about Disney comics from
their parents; you would now have to go back two
generations to find that in any great amount."

Sadly, this is probably the case in most families.  But I had to
jump in with my own experience.  I am a 23-year-old woman living
in the midwestern United States.  In the early 1980s when I was
a very small child, my father revived his own childhood interest
in Disney comics and began reading them to me. "Land Beneath the
Ground" and any story with Flintheart Glomgold were my
particular favorites, but all Barks stories were wonderful.  Dad
read these stories and more to me over and over again before I
was even able to read them myself.
When I did learn to read, I kept on enjoying the duck
stories...and never stopped.  I have a been a huge fan of Barks
since before I could read, and a huge fan of Rosa since I first
picked up "Son of the Sun."  (I think I was around eight years
old then.)

Granted, I'm only one person and there always exceptions, but I
just wanted to speak out and say there is at least one young
person (and a female at that!) in America who still is an avid
duck fan.  I cannot wait until the new Gemstones come out!  :-D

Katie Sullivan  (probably the biggest Glittering Goldie fan in
the world) ;)
http://www.sullivanet.com
http://www.sullivanet.com/duckburg/scrooge.html