DCML digest

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Tue Jun 10 00:12:41 CEST 2003

From: Mads Jensen (astrup_jensen at hotmail.com)
Subject: Duck birthdays/years ?
>>>I am little confused about the stories by Don Rosa, that congratulates
him
on his 60th Birthday, although Don considers Donald being born ca. 1920, the
story, I am prescribing is this one: D 93574. Would this be a story, that
Don was ordered to do ?
Another example would be the 50 Year Anniversary story states that Scrooge
McDuck has lived in Duckburg for 50 years. This contradicts yet again with
Rosa's usual periods. The arrival in Duckburg = first appearence of Scrooge
McDuck ? This is yet again an ordered story, I believe ?

None of the stories I do are "ordered". They are "requested". I am a
freelancer. Anyway...

In the first story you site ("The Duck Who Never Was", Donald's 60th
anniversary story), in my original script, a near-sighted clerk reads
Donald's birthdate of the 9th ( of June) (today!) (written as "09")
upside-down so that it looks like "60" to him, and thinks he's 60 years
old... it was a more complicated error than that, but that was the basics of
it. And the characters kid Donald about that later in the story. This way I
was able to have some reference to Donald being 60 years old in the story
without it really being true -- clever, eh? Now... lord only knows what a
careless translator might have done with that simple joke, but it is quite
clear in MY script that Donald is not 60 years old, that this is a foolish
goof on the clerk's part. (Naturally I don't state his actual age in the
story.) Are you sure you read that story correctly?
In the second story you site ("A Little Something Special", $crooge's 50th
anniversary story), since $crooge is obviously well over 50 years old, I
have the characters in the story celebrating the 50th anniversary of
$crooge's first arrival in Duckburg. Why do you think this conflicts with my
"usual periods"? I always say that my "current" stories are taking place in
an indefinite year, surely not always told in chronological order, but all
taking place sometime in the early-mid 1950's. And I stated in chapter 10 of
my "Life of $crooge" that he first arrived in Duckburg in 1902. So "A Little
Something Special" is taking place in 1952. Simple.
What did you misunderstand?