Scrooge's other hat

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Tue Jun 10 05:09:47 CEST 2003

KRITON KYRIMIS, 08-06-2003:

> In "Lost Beneath the Sea", page 7, panel 8, Scrooge receives a
> cablegram: "Cablegram for Mr. Scrooge McDuck!... Two more railroads
> had wrecks! Six accordion factories folded up! Moths ate your extra
> silk hat!" Thus, according to Barks, Scrooge had *two* silk hats,

In "Clothes make the duck" (US 32), tramp Scrooge gets new clothes
for free. His silk hat is very damaged and dirty. When he's presented
in his new clothes, he has a shiny and clean silk hat. This could be
the damaged and dirty silk silk hat, restored to make it look as new.
But isn't that unlikely, and at least more expensive than a new silk
hat? So, that's why I think this story could be an *indication* of
another hat replacement.

In "The Golden River" (US 22), Scrooge's silk hat gets damaged by a
stone falling from the waterfall. The hat keeps on being damaged in
the rest of the story, up to the very last panel. (By the way, this
is rather unique for a comic. Normally, damaged clothes restore
themselves within a few panels.)

In "The Lemming with the locket" (US 9), Scrooge's silk hat falls into
the water, with the lemming in it. I can't remember a replacement of
the silk hat, but this little accident might be interesting to notice.

There's also a Scrooge gag (US 13) in which Scrooge has a different
type of hat in the winter, to avoid his regular silk hat being damaged
by snow balls.

In a Donald Duck gag (DD 51), Donald tries to sell Scrooge a comfortable
hat. This gag has obviously been cut from a full page. (See Barrier.)
In this gag, at least as published, Donald has no success in selling
Scrooge a hat.

--- Daniël