Buettner/McKimson

Rob Klein bi442 at lafn.org
Wed Jun 11 16:18:04 CEST 2003

Regarding Barks quote about redrawn panels in "The Firebug": When I asked him
about THAT story, several cover drawings and a few panels in other stories that
looked either like Barks didn't draw them, or they looked "strange", he told me
that the editors didn't want them the way he drew them (for various reasons),
and they redrew them (panels or portions of panels or cover drawings). He NEVER
KNEW which (editorial staff artist did the redrawing (or touching up). I could
tell by the way he said it, that he was only surmising, based upon who was the
editorial artist at the time who did the most editorial redrawing, or who was
the "Chief Editor (who also drew)".

It was also clear to me that the drawing style of the last 2 panels of "The
Firebug" was a different style from that of Buettner's, and I seemed to
recognize it as similar to one of the OTHER Western artists who drew a few
Disney stories during the 1940s. Unfortunately, I can't remember which story
(stories) which contained that style. Also, it is unfortunate, but I will not
be able to peruse through my WDC & S and other old US Disney Comics until at
least October, to find out.  I'm not sure if the story was one of the lesser
characters, or not.  I don't believe it was a "Duck" story.

Rob Klein