Firebug Artist

Rob Klein bi442 at lafn.org
Fri Jun 13 06:21:32 CEST 2003

After looking closely at the covers of the 1947 Cheerios Giveaways drawn by
Carl Buettner, I am MORE CONVINCED that he DID draw the 2 last panels of "The
Firebug". There are a few Nephews that look very like those in the 2 panels.
But, in any case, I believe the 2 last panels were drawn less in Buettner's
style, to fit in more with Barks' drawing in the remainder of the story. The
short beak IS typical of Buettner's cover drawings. In this case, it is much
more of a SIDE VIEW than most of his cover poses of Donald.

There were VERY FEW Western artists that drew "The Ducks" in the 1940s. And
their styles were more different from the last 2 "Firebug" panels than were
Buettners.  I really doubt that someone is going to find Disney Duck drawings
by another Western artist that will be identifiable as the "same hand" as the
one who drew the replacement panels.

Rob Klein

Rob
Klein