Mickey Mouse in The Netherlands, 1931

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Fri Jun 27 03:38:15 CEST 2003

In a private email, Rolf van de Kamer has sent me a scan of the dust-sleeve
of a Dutch translation of "The Adventures of Mickey Mouse", published by
Scheltens & Giltay. The Dutch translation is by J.H. Clinge Doorenbos.
Rolf thinks the book has been released around Sint Nicolaas 1931 (that's
a Dutch celebration in early December). No date is mentioned in the book.

http://www.tobia.nl/030626_mickey3101.bmp
(scan as sent to me, in BMP-format, 743 kB)

http://www.tobia.nl/030626_mickey3101.jpg
(BMP-format converted to JPEG, 91 kB)

Rolf also mentions that according to the article of expert Kees de Bree
in "Mickey Mouse - Vijftig Vrolijke Jaren" (pages 248/249), a Mickey-strip
has been announced in "Het Nieuws Van De Dag" in October 1931 (3 à 4 panels
with text below).

This predates the Mickey I've seen in a non-Disney illustration by Herman
Nijgh, published in the December 24, 1931 Christmas-attachment of Dutch
newspaper "Leidsch Dagblad".

See http://stp.ling.uu.se/pipermail/dcml/2003-June/023465.html

--- Daniël