Moby Duck, Mad Madam Mim and others

xephyr@cwnet.com xephyr at cwnet.com
Fri Jun 27 07:55:16 CEST 2003

Like Daniel, I am also a fan of Mad Madam Mim.  While I can't speak for all
of her story presentations, I liked the ones I saw which presented her and
Magica as Castle-mates.  Of course, her famous (or is that "infamous"?)
bout with Merlin from the Disney feature film is a classic!  She's an odd
sort of person, but she's a witch, so it suits her.  She's also one of the
few "human" (i.e., non-anthropomorphic) characters that seems to have
meshed well with the Duck & Mouse universes, though I'm not sure how much
she interacts with Ducks or Mouses these days. (As an aside, I think Ranger
Woodlore and the Red Fly do alright in the anthropomorphic world of Donald
& Mickey).

As for Moby, I grew up with his comics so I have fond memories of his and
others from that era.  Moby was probably not used as best as he could be
all the time, but he (and to a lesser extent, Dim-Witty) might still find
some usefulness in modern Duck society.  I realize he has (had?) a series
(Day Chronicles) which featured him recently, but I never got to read it so
I'm not sure if I would have liked it (especially since it was removed from
Duckburg in general).  I prefer he interacted with other known characters
from time-to-time.

Ludwig Von Drake is another favorite of mine whom "I" have not seen much of
lately.  From reading the DCML I gather he, too, is not appearing much
these days in other countries' publications, either.

Other characters I miss include Clara Cluck, Launchpad & Webby, Gizmoduck,
Eega Beeva, Fifi, Tanglefoot, Butch (the bulldog), Bruto, Melody, Panchito,
Humphrey the Bear, Percy & Patricia, Atomino Bip-Bip & Disney Babies!
Except for the recent Rosa story featuring Panchito, I wonder if he will
return to obscurity again?  This would be sad since Panchito is such a
great character!  I would love to see more stories featuring him as well as
the Aracuan.  I'm probably in the minority with many of these characters
here.

Thanks to China, I have had the privledge of seeing comics which include
Ellsworth, Fethry, Horace, Clarabelle, Morty & Ferdie, Cousin Bertie Cow
and many others I like, as well as the regulars like Mickey, Goofy &
Scrooge.  I'm very much looking forward to seeing the Gemstones when I
return to the USA.

One of my hobbies is collecting PVCs of my favorite characters.  My
collection includes Mickey, Minnie, Scrooge, Donald, Daisy, Launchpad,
Webby, three Beagle Boys, Clarabelle, Pluto, Goofy, Figaro, Max, Bad Pete,
Huey, Dewey & Louie, Big Bad Wolf, Li'l Bad Wolf, the Three Pigs, Br'er
Bear, Fox & Rabbit, Chief O'Hara, Prof. Doublex, Bonkers, Disney Babies
(including Pete) and so many others that are a bit too small to stand next
to these (like Magica, Gyro, Gladstone, Grandma Duck, Horace, Cousin Gus,
P.J., Phantom Blot, etc.).  Thanks to the Japanese toy company Tomy, there
is a new line of articulated characters that are now available with more in
the future.  They have a fantastic set of the Three Caballeros!  I hope
they manage to make one of Scrooge and other favorites of mine in the near
future as these all tend to be a near perfect match in size to the
collection I have going.  I hope one day soon they make a Clara Cluck, (a
better)Clarabelle, Horace, Humphrey, Ranger, Fifi, Butch & Ludwig figure so
I can add them, too.

Ah, well, I can see I started rambling again...

Zai jian,  Rich Bellacera
xephyr at cwnet.com