MM coloring bok

Arie Fachrisal cien2 at cbn.net.id
Mon Jun 30 17:47:07 CEST 2003

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2180010725&category=65

Hi,
can anyone give me more infos about this item? I like to browse a bit
sometimes in eBay and this one particular book kinda  intrigue me since (to
me) it doesnt have the same hype/buzz like the original DD Maharajah Donald
original giveaway. Yet it was able to reach quite a high price for a
coloring book. Not being in a country where collectibles are regarded very
valuable, such phenomena i cant quite follow/understand. If u ask me, i
still cant follow/understand why the DD giveaway was THAT high-priced. I
mean reprints are way way better and economical for me. Perhaps it's the
nostalgic value or the nominal value people/comic shops hype about.

Which kinda makes me want to express an opinion about a well-discussed
issue. It's about comic industry in US and non-US.

I think it's a good move for Gemstone to target the mainstream as their
readers rather than only a bunch of collectors. True, the quality of the
books will differ than those aimed for collectibility but Gemstone already
making a mag that imho fits both worlds. It is suitable to grab up and read
by anyone and the extra infos/articles is good enough for the Disney Comics
die-hards. The only thing that stands as an obstacle is of course the price.
$6.95 price may be seemed high in a comic industry filled with superheroes
comics which priced at $2.95, sometimes lower.

I cant do anything but wish the best for Gemstone so that their new line of
much economical issues will be able to captivate the children of US into
their regular readership.

The Disney Comics situation in my country is also similar to Scandinavia.
The comics are made and distributed for mainstream market, which is good in
some ways. The comics industry here is also geared towards mainstream comics
instead of collectible comics. Collectible comics can only be enjoyed by
people of higher economy class, while the mainstream comics can reach nearly
ALL economy class. To me, this is the deciding factor if one should sell
comics.

It is true like Olaf said that the quality of such books are quite low
(seeing from a collector's point of view). But to the children, they will
have a blast no matter a serious article about Barks is in there or not.
Later on, they'll grow up and a certain amount of em growing up will
evetually come back and check for all infos about their favorite comic
artists (eventually grow to be like the lot of us here who subscribed to the
DCML) ;-)
ANd good thing, eventually the mainstream-mags will increase their quality
over time, though somewhat very slow. 20 years ago, who draw what duck
stories are hardly unheard of/publicized in Indonesia. Now, slight mentions
of Barks and Rosa has been put in the local Disney mags articles, along with
the names of Block, Jippes, Taliaferro, etc. Too bad they havent mention
anything about the mouse-artists such as Gottfredson and Feriolli.

Well, lastly... Go go Gemstone. Make it so the Disney Comics will be widely
read again in US and a whole new legion/generation of duck/mouse fans will
certainly join us in this list within a couple of decades :-D

Best regards,
Arie Fachrisal who just practiced (or issit malpracticed?) flipism today to
decide a "hard" decision :-D