More Thoughts on the "Take-Along" Books

Danehog@aol.com Danehog at aol.com
Sat Mar 8 19:41:59 CET 2003

(Sorry; I originally sent this to one user, as opposed to the entire list. I
need a mail program that actually WORKS!)

In a message dated 3/8/2003 8:50:50 AM Eastern Standard Time, lis- at wp.pl
writes:

>First, both Donald Duck &Scrooge stories were drawn by Fecchi. The story
"The
>Deep" (D 99272) was published in the latest issue of Polish "Gigant >
poleca:"
>(I've bought it yesterday ). I've  really enjoyed this story - except the
>ending.

I always thought that a Duck story might be difficult to wrap up, as they can
go in just about any bizarre direction. The masters at the Duck Ending, in my
opinion, are Barks, Rosa, and Van Horn--but there are many European artists
I've never even seen unreadable scans of, so the "pocket books" will be a
good oppurtunity for me to, er, "expand my horizons."

I'll definitely be buying at least a few of them.

>(i don't like the idea of Scrooge having a PC).

Scrooge? A PC?!

Anyone else want to bet Don Rosa is crying right now...? (Of course, Gyro
probably had an idea for a PC back in the 50s, if only he knew that it could
be used for other things besides collecting stamps and cleaning bubble gum
off of hard surfaces.)

>In this story, Duckburg of the future is lived by ducks only!

Odd! I suppose that makes sense, but what's Duckburg without odd... dog...
things, and those ever-scary "humans" with duck-bills?

>One thing puzzled me: The cover of "Donald Duck Adventures" (it's drawn by
>William Van Horn, isn't it?)
>is not linked to the story "The Deep".

Well, it seems that anytime before 1980, American comics have rarely had
covers that had anything to do with the story at hand. I mean, look at the
Golden Age Barks covers--say, Uncle Scrooge #7? Where was the Seven Cities of
Cibola (sorry if I've spelled this incorrectly) cover art? So it's not
particularly unusual, although the Gladstone books always had covers
pertaining to the inside story. I especially liked some of the issues that
had Barks stories with covers actually pertaining to the story, by Rosa, Van
Horn, Jippes, etc.

>The price of "Gigant Poleca:" (pocket books) is also 7.95 but in zlote >of
>course :-)

Heh.

Well, I personally think that the $7.95 price tag is a decent deal. American
comics are usually horribly overpriced. For instance, Dark Horse's "Astro
Boy" translations are roughly the same size, with just about thirty more
pages, for $9.99--in black and white!
--
Dane Martin