TV-world to the comics

Simo Malinen malines24 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 13 17:26:30 CET 2003

Our local TV-channels have had plenty of American "TV-mini-series"
just by recent times. By that "mini-series" I mean TV-series that
were made only few episodes before the whole productions were
cancelled because of too low audience rates.

E.g. Chris Carter's (X-Files) other series "Harsh Realm" and
"Lone Gunmen" were trashed just after couple of episodes. Even
loudly started "Dark Angel" (Terminator-Cameron-Production)
apparently was wasted on it's second season. And so on.

But how's this related to Disney comics? Since the Disney-comics
are now returning to the U.S. I'm just wondering what if the
organizers and financiers of this publishing project have as
much patience as their TV-colleagues? Could/would they execute
similar acts? What if the new comic books aren't an immediate
success and the selling rates aren't moon rocketing all the time?

>http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/scoop_article.asp?ai=2011&si=121
>

>http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/scoop_article.asp?ai=2083&si=121

And are they really seriously going to lure new readers with
these covers? The cover of new WDC&S 634 featuring the book's
best known characters wearing totally unrecognizible costumes?
Quite innovative! (or actually that was rather common with some
oldest WDC&S issues)

On the other hand the cover of DD Adventures feels sort of minimalistic -
though I'm NOT an expert of marketing and I have
absolutely no idea how the potential comic book buyers/readers
in the U.S. would react about this cover (especially the ones
not being familiar with the characters). "So that book is
featuring a beak-creature exploring adventeres with a tiny
spider. How cute!", "Crappy bird dude tied up his beak! Yuh!",
"Donald Duck? ... umm ... McDonald's! - It's time to get the
best meal in the whole good damn world!" ..

Or maybe it's just me expected some Barks' consciousness-expanding
gag-covers from the 50's?

http://eega.net/covers/usa/w_wdc/w_wdc_167_00.jpg

- Simo