Saddam Hussein's "useful idiot" (couldn't be more off-topic, sorry, but well, we're accostumed to this, with Sigvald...)

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. sigvald at duckburg.dk
Wed Mar 19 00:00:35 CET 2003

Gilles Maurice <Goofy313g at aol.com> wrote:

>> The French are not very popular in the USA
>> nowadays, as many Americans now apparently
>> sees the French as Saddam Husseins "useful
>> idiots"
>
> Well, little Sigvald
This is normally *not* seen as a friendly way of addressing one's friends.
However I'll give you the benefit of the doubt since I have often been
called "Lille Sigvald" by family and friends over the years – my father
being "Store Sigvald" = "big Sigvald".

> Nothing gives you the right to insult me and
> my country,
And I didn't. I have *not* stated one single word about my own opinions
here, as I find that off-topic. I however am following US-media these days
so that I know what many Americans think about the French. Please remember
that referring other peoples views is *not* the same as referring your own
views.

> I do now that I know he won't help the USA
> if the war comes.
Do you? I have just read that Monsieur Chirac has said that France WILL aid
the US-forces *if* that guy in Bagdad uses Weapons of Mass Destruction
against the coalition forces.

> We all know that if this war happens, lots
> of innocents, men, women, old men, children
> and babies will die, so I wonder how it's
> possible that some people still think this
> f***ing war is a good thing.
I haven't heard anyone say it's a *good* thing. What some say is that it's
the less bad of only bad options. Some Americans have also said that the
French should remember D-Day (June 6th, 1944).

> Sigvald, what gives you the right to talk
> about such a delicate issue on Don Rosa's
> behalf?!
That was *never* my intention – no way! I was doing analysis, not speaking
on other's behalf. Please remember that Don Rosa does not exist alone in the
Disney system. He thus may or may not, have to consider the opinions of
other Americans within the system, such as the people at Gemstone, Byron
Erickson, etc. As you said yourself – this is a delicate matter, especially
for Americans.

> This is very grave to do this, Sigvald.
> What makes you think that Don Rosa
> is pro war or against war?
I have made no thoughts at all about Don Rosa's private thoughts about this.
That's his business, and *only* his business.

> If Don Rosa wants to talk about this, he is
> free to do so, but anyway, he more than
> probably didn't even want to discuss on this
> here, and nobody wanted, even if this war
> is probably in everybody's mind here, because
> it's not the appropriate place for this.
> YOU were the first to speak about this.
Just because it felt naturally as a part of the answer to the question I did
answer.

> And to insult me
I am indeed very sorry that you feel that way about my answer, that was
*not* my intention at all.

> and why? Because I asked Don Rosa (not you!)
> if he would work with France again.
Hey, that question was posted to DCML, open for everybody to comment.

> Really, I don't understand what the hell is
> the common point between [Don Rosa's business
> with Picsou] and [President Chirac and the war
> in Irak]. This reflection must come from an ill
> brain!
 This is almost racism, Sigvald, and
> it's grave

Who did just speak about how negative it is to insulting others... For the
benefit of the general peace and friendship on DCML I will forget this –
this time

> So you're not even insulting me and my country,
> and all the other thousands of people who are
> against a possible war, but also Don Rosa
> himself
My most sincere apologies to Don Rosa if he for any reason feels so. It was
*never* my intention to insult anyone here – I just decided to be very open
minded when thinking up possible reasons for Don Rosa to choose to work for
someone else than Picsou. And please notice that I mentioned the most
important reason first – and that one has nothing what-so-ever to with any
war at all.

> But well, I hope all this is nothing but a
> misunderstanding, or, if it's not, that I
> will have some excuses or some explanations,
I hope that my answers above are good enough.

> but, if no, I'm afraid this could have
> consequences for our friendship...
I most sincerely hope not! No one will gain anything out of that, we both
know that.

> Please, don't answer to this mail, Sigvald,
> or at least do it privately, not to bother
> other dcmailers...
I wish I could, but as you have argued – in public- that I have offended Don
Rosa I had to comment that in public – you put me in a sticky situation with
last few lines.

Just a final statement:
I did never mean to insult Monsieur Gilles Maurice or any French by
referring a current observation of US-attitudes. I apologize for any
inconvenience this may have caused for Monsieur Gilles Maurice or any other
French readers of the DCML.

Sigvald