Naples, Albums, Guests, Van Horn, Eggs, OT, Gemstone

Olivier mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr
Wed Mar 19 11:12:14 CET 2003

Hi everyone!

1/ Naples / Napoli
First, my belated thanks to Harry for posting his pictures from the Naples Comic Con:
Thank you very much, Harry!

2/ Albums
Gary:
>>>They're called albums after the fashion of European publishers to refer to their volumes of
>>>such features as Asterix and Lucky Luke as "albums". (At least, that's
>>>what the promoters putting these books into the English-speaking
>>>markets call them - I've no idea what they may be called in any of the
>>>European languages.)
Again, my apologies for replying only now. I kept the message to reply but forgot.
That is indeed how we call the Tintin, Astérix, Lucky Luke, ... books.

3/ Guests
Sorry, I don't remember who mentioned him (and don't feel like going-- nor have time to go-- through all the messages): I'm not sure wehther Alan Moore would be interested in writing a ducks story; if  he did, it would probably be interesting, and surely along the lines of  Don Rosa stories, a reflection on the ducks driven by logic (what would be the consequences of..., howcome..., why..., what oes it mean to be a talking duck, ...)
He might make-- and may have already made-- a reference to the ducks in another comic. He did such a tribute to Walt Kelly in Swamp Thing, chapter 6 of "Love and Death" ("Pog"; art by Shawn McManus; "The Saga of the Swamp Thing" # 32, January 1985; reprinted in DC Comics Vertigo's "Swamp Thing" book 2 (1990).
Nils:
Could you take a picture of  your painting, please? I'm curious to see Donald drawn that way. Nothing fancy, just clear enough so we can make out the painting.

4/ Van Horn
I love Van Horn's stories, especially his ten-pagers. Good as they may be in both formats, I think Don Rosa is at his best writing adventures, and Van Horn doing ten-pagers. His very lively art & dialogue are perfectly appropriate to the comedy genre. It's another kind of  Donald, and I like it.
As for Rumpus turning out to be Scrooge's half-brother, Sigvald, I don't like the idea, but I wouldn't say "This is definitive evidence that William Van Horn is *not* as true a successor to Barks as Don Rosa". Van Horn doesn't betray Barks' character since Barks' stories never mentioned Scrooge's parents; Van Horn is expanding the on the universe, just as Don Rosa does.

5/ Square Eggs
I liked you square egg investigation, Sigvald. Yet, as Theresa pointed out, what about the ducks? If  the ratio duck/square egg is the same as that of human/regular egg, and square eggs are about the same size as regular eggs, does this mean the ducks are about our size (as in Disneyland)?
I think they're smaller too, like Hobbits.

6/ OT
Sigvald:
>>>I did never mean to insult Monsieur Gilles Maurice or any French by referring a current observation of US
>>>attitudes. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused for Monsieur Gilles Maurice or any other
>>>French readers of the DCML.

No offense taken-- as much as it may surprise you Gilles: it seemed clear to me in Sigvald's message that he was *referring* to the point of  view of  *some* people only, and not directly attacking anyone.
One thing however really bothered me: the syllogism leading to "My guess is thus that Don Rosa for the time being, would prefer to Work for Gemstone before Picsou"-- a ridiculous assumption (whether you actually made that assumption or not, Sigvald, the fact is, it read like you did).
There was no need to reply-- only Mr Rosa was entitled to reply.
I didn't want to broach this way off-topic subject, but I felt like I had to reply to Gilles' & Sigvald's replies.

7/ Gemstone
Gary & John:
It is naturally way too early for such decisions, but maybe the possibility has already been studied at Gemstone.
Besides new Albums (Keno Don Rosa, William Van Horn, Floyd Gottfredson, Al Taliaferro, Daan Jippes, ...), would it be possible for Gemstone to make another Barks paintings book (with a deluxe and a cheaper version), and to reprint the original Barks Library (since Russ Cochran works with Gemstone)?
Another suggestion: "Covers" books-- "Barks Covers", "Don Rosa Covers", "Daan Jippes Covers", ...

To conclude, my belated thanks (again) to Per, for maintaining the list!

Best wishes,

Olivier

PS: I'll try and make another "MM Strips Notes" update soon--- have you seen the one I made on Monday 17?