AW: International Politics

Dan Rosenberg dortmunder at mad.scientist.com
Fri Mar 21 08:01:44 CET 2003

Re: Dan:
Re:
Re: Free speech does not mean that I can talk anywhere at any time about any
Re: topic I want. There also is the matter of politeness and consideration.
Re: Nevertheless I agreee with you that the current international problems
Re: are important enough to be discussed on DCML even though they are
Re: off-topic. With the very international members and mostly friendly
Re: atmosphere on this list there is a chance for an exchange opinions
Re: without the usual bias.
Re:
Re: And did you possibly mix up names? Mark Doukakis sent a perfectly polite
Re: answer which just commented on our general problems to communicate -
Re: without any reference to a apecific political opinion.

Mark made a very hostile remark about Fabio's age in an earlier mail, implying that he was immature and stupid. Comments like that always tick me off because they're cowardly. Instead of arguing a point he simply decided to resort to insults. Nothing really polite about that. And I have to disagree with you, what you describe above is anything but "free" speech. One is either free to speak or one isn't. Free speech means precisely that I can talk anywhere, anytime about any topic I want. Now, whether you respond or simply ignore me is your choice. I would also like to stress here that Mr. Doukakis has every right to disagree, respectfully. It's funny that nobody criticises advertisers when they cram their messages down our throats without asking us (as I write this even, I'm forced to look at obnoxious blinking banners), but the moment somebody says something even remotely meaningful or important, his free speech rights have to be questioned and limited. If I'm born with a ri
 ght, something that is a "god-given" right, then noone on earth can administer or regulate that right for me, I simply have it. If my right to speak freely has to be kept under control, then I don't really have the right to speak freely and everything I was taught in school about my country was a lie. Millions of people across this planet today sent a message to the brotherhood, that we will not be co-opted into their maniacal schemes for world domination and we will no longer let them get away with bloody murder. I'm deeply ashamed of my country and my government today, and I would like everybody to know that. I would also like everyone to know that I fear for our democracy, not because of threats from without, but from within. In my opinion George W. Bush is a sick and dangerous individual, and we need to make sure that he never becomes the leader of the free world again. Some of you may feel differently and that is perfectly ok. Now that I've spoken my peace I will put th
 e topic to rest. Thank you for indulging me.