Donald's parents

Mark Wright nicodemuslegend at cp.fuller.edu
Fri Mar 28 18:30:35 CET 2003

Sigvald said:

<<Hi all! the discussing concerning HD&Ls parents have made me
<<remember a still unanswered question I once sent to DCML. In Lo$
<<part 10 - "The Invader of Fort Duckburg" (1902) Donald's parents
<<meets each other for the first time and fall in love. In Lo$ part 10b
<<- "The Sharpie of The Culebra Cut" (1906) both Donald's mother
<<and her sister Mathilda goes with Scrooge to Panama. Donald's
<<father is *not* mentioned at all. During this trip Donald's mother
<<shows as great interest for "cowboys" as before she met her later
<<husband Quackmore Duck. In Lo$ part 11 - "The Empire-Builder
<<from Calisota". Donald's parents are first engaged (1909) and then
<<married and with a family (1930). Can anyone this time please
<<explain Hortense's behavior in 1906 and why Quackmore is not
<<mentioned in that story? Sigvald :-)

I don?t see any problem here.  In part 10, Hortense and Quackmore met.
They went out on a few dates.  Perhaps they were even serious about
each other.  Since the engagement isn?t mentioned until part 11,
there?s no reason to assume they have any committment to each other in
part 10b.  For all we know, they had only gone out once or twice by
then, and there?d be no reason to mention Quackmore at all.

My two cents,
Mark Wright

SOT Faculty Assistant: Fuller
Theological Seminary