Teaming of Mickey and Goofy

Frank Bubacz frankbubacz at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 29 16:27:06 CET 2003

Hi,

Floyd Gottfredson is famed for adapting Mickey and his friends to the comic
strip medium, enriching their personalities, effectively combining comedy
with adventure, introducing essential characters like Chief O'Hara, The Blot
and Eega Beeva, being highly influential in general, etc.,
but.......................... has he (and I certainly don't want to forget
his writers) ever been given credit for teaming Mickey with Goofy??

Since I first read, or better: watched the pictures of the first comics I
owned as a kid, there always had been the team of Mickey and Goofy. They
seemed to be as inseparable as, say, Donald and his nephews. Or Laurel and
Hardy for that matter. It seemed it had always been that way. I only
discovered very recently that the twosome NEVER had been a duo in the
classic Disney shorts of the 30s, 40s and 50s. Here it was always either the
whole gang, the trio of Mickey, Donald and Goofy, or maybe a cameo, but no
hint whatsoever of a proper duo. Call me slow, but I really was surprised
when I finally noticed. :-)

So the teaming was a development of the comics. As there was hardly any
other artist dealing with the mouse universe up until 1939, when Manuel
Gonzales took over the MM Sunday page, I attribute the creation of the duo
to Gottfredson and his authors. Sadly, apart from the odd story here and
there, I am not familiar with Gottfredson's work. INDUCKS helped me to find
out which of his stories included Goofy, but it couldn't tell me where he
accompanies Mickey throughout a whole adventure or where he only has a
smaller guest appearance. So I have a few questions for our experts.

When do you reckon did the duo of Mickey and Goofy start "officially"? When
did it become the rule, rather than the exception? Did the teaming happen
accidentally, i.e. Gottfredson wasn't allowed to use Donald anymore (as in
Editor-In-Grief and others), because DD got his own strip? When did the
detective element come in? Can we attribute it to Gottfredson or was it
other artists/writers (Murry? Guido Martina?) who made it popular?

Too many questions really (or maybe too stupid questions) to even expect one
reply, I guess... You have to forgive me, but I am just rediscovering MM
after a long period in which I really only cared for Barks, as far as Disney
comics are concerned.

Nice to be back,
Frank