ERIK (and others): Yes, there were Mickey newspaper strips in 193 0s Germany...

Gerstein, David DK - ECN DGE at ECN.egmont.com
Mon Mar 31 13:19:01 CEST 2003

	Hey Erik,

>Frank wrote:
>
>> do you really want to tell us there haven't been any
>> MM newspaper strips in Germany in the 30s? If that's true it is quite
>> surprising...
>
>Then be surprised. Beside of the Swiss "Micky Maus Zeitung" there were
>no MM newspaper strips in German in the 30s.

	I'm afraid you're incorrect on this. The book _Im Reiche der Micky
Maus_ (1991), by Mario Dreßler and J. P. Storm, is still available from some
Internet booksellers. It explains in detail how a German newspaper published
the Mickey strip under license for some while in the early 1930s, and even
had their own cartoonist do a Mickey story of their own for a special
holiday number. This story, a one- or two-pager as I recall, is reprinted in
full in the book.
	_Im Reiche_ was originally tied to a 1991 exhibition in Berlin, but
it remains a great reference book on its own. The early 1930s Mickey
phenomenon as experienced in Europe is a woefully understudied topic, I
think: I know only one similar book, Lasse Åberg's _Musseum_, that tackles
the subject; in this case, from a Swedish perspective. I imagine that Italy
in particular, home of ten gazillion Disney reference books, must have
something similar, but if so I haven't seen it...

	David