Our ongoing discussion

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. sigvald at duckburg.dk
Thu May 8 02:51:05 CEST 2003

Olaf Solstrand <olaf at andebyonline.com> wrote:

> But - according to your logic - Barks clearly
> said in the family tree that Donald didn't have
> an uncle Eider either.

Maybe not, but he did tell about Donald's Uncle Eider in a 10-pager about a
falcon. So the Uncle Eider character is still a Bars-fact.

> Remember that the family tree is not published
> in a comic

But since Don Rosa did use it as background material it can actually be seen
as the plot behind Don Rosa's Donald Duck Family Tree which is indeed
published.

> Should we also state the fact that Grandma and
> Grandpa Duck had a restaurant in Klondike? That
> story was also shown in a never published
> schetch.

Off course not, Don Rosa did change that plot.

>>> Barks always drew HD&L with stupid caps,
>>
>> At least they were worn in a serious way.
>
> What is a serious way, then? It may be because
> I'm a lot younger than you - but I don't think
> of wearing the caps backwards as especially
> unserious - and I doubt that youngsters of
> today (as Huey, Dewey and Louie are) do that
> either. It's just a way of wearing your hat
> - it doesn't make you unserious. Maybe it does
> for someone your age, but not for anyone my
> age, and certainly not for someone Huey, Dewey
> and Louie's age.

You have good points here. But still - a mothern style implicates modern
attitudes and values. Attitudes and values very, very far from the safe and
peacfull Duckburg once created by Barks and his fellows in the 1940's and
1950s.

>> Well, the clothing weared by HD&L in some of
>> Ehapas covers implicate that HD&L try to be
>> cool the modern way - which often implicates
>> bad attitudes, criminal behaviour and to some
>> extent even experimenting with or using illegal
>> drugs as teenagers - and that's far away from
>> the serious JW-generals that I love.
>
> Please, Sigvald. This is prejudice and you
> know it. You can't say that everybody with
> cool clothes are criminals and using drugs.

No, off course not. What I have tried to say that it's more often so today,
than it used to be. The persentage of young teenagers who have experimented
with drugs are far far higher today than it was only 20 years ago.

Sigvald :-)