OT - about DCML messages online

Donald D. Markstein ddmarkstein at cox.net
Tue May 13 14:02:59 CEST 2003

> On my own homepage I
> don't write out the @-sign (I make it "at" instead or _at_ or somethng
> similar, and in the link I add a REMOVE_THIS after the address.

Theresa, how does that "REMOVE_THIS" code work? Does it tell the robots not
to harvest that address, or simply obfuscate the address they do harvest? If
the latter, how does the link still work? I can certainly see how altering
the address that appears on the screen works without interfering with the
operation, but would very much like to know how to keep them from getting
the address inside the tag.

I have a couple of Web sites of my own (aside from www.toonopedia.com, which
is part of my automatic signature, I have a personal site at
www.uncadonald.com), and right now, mail at the Toonopedia(tm) address is
running about 10-1 spam. I'd love to be able to keep that address from
falling into even more of the wrong hands.

Sorry to step off-topic (IF I have -- the name of the domain I bought for
the personal site is at least peripherally on-topic), but as the old U.S. TV
commercial used to say, "inquiring minds want to know."

Quack, Don

Today in Toons: Every day's an anniversary.
http://www.toonopedia.com/today.htm