Vladek Spiegelman [to Sigvald]

M.J. Prior M.J.Prior at let.rug.nl
Tue May 13 14:29:32 CEST 2003

> Vladek who? I guess that character is not well known in Norway.

I'd be surprised. Vladek Spiegelman is the father of Art
Spiegelman, who wrote and drew 'Maus, a survivor's tale', about his
father's experiences during WWII, trying to hide from the nazi's in
Poland en eventually ending up in, and surviving, Auschwitz.

In this 'graphic novel', the Jews are depicted as mice, the Germans
as cats and the Americans as dogs. Somewhere in the second
part, Art Spiegelman goes to visit his psychiatrist (a 'mouse'),
whose house is full of pet cats and dogs. "How can I mention this
without completely lousing up my metaphor?", mutters the author.

This line set me to thinking about this 'Ducks-as-charicaturized-
human-beings'-thing, but for now I'm at a loss what my point would
be and how and why I would want to put it forward.

'Maus' has won worldwide acclaim and can be considered a well-
known graphic novel. I'm sure there must be a Norse translation.

I'm glad to include a link to Don Markstein's Toonopedia page
for 'Maus', for I'm really very pleased with the existence of
this beautiful, useful and resourceful website.

>>> http://www.toonopedia.com/maus.htm

Michiel Prior.
Waarschuwing: als je probeert te replyen naar m.j.prior at let.rug.nl
gaat dat waarschijnlijk mis. Gebruik liever m.j.prior at student.rug.nl