DCML Digest, Vol 3, Issue 31

Dan Rosenberg dortmunder at mad.scientist.com
Sun May 18 22:10:09 CEST 2003

Sigvald wrote:

> You seem to forget that Don Rosa did a great story about the Finnish
> Kalevala epic. A few years ago some people probably said "...the rest of the
> world don't care that much about Finland's national epic..."

 Yes, he did. But I must say, as an American reader it was not one of my favorite Rosa stories. To be fair, we can say that Rosa has used the American Independence Day celebration in at least one of his stories (Lo$ 2), but it was simply a theme used to introduce the young Scrooge to the New World he was embarking upon. If an Lo$ chapter were to be written involving a young Scrooge visiting Norway during one of their national holiday celebrations, it may work, but to write a story based entirely on this event may sound rather boring to the rest of us. This may be a story more appropriately done by a Norwegian writer and artist. Besides, no one has bothered to ask Don if he would be willing to create such a story. And what of all the other countries in the world who have national holidays? Won' they feel left out? If Don were to be fair he'd spend the rest of his careeer trying to appeal to every reader's sense of nationality. I think he might feel he has better things to do.
 Just a guess, though.-Dan

"God is dead."?Nietzsche
"Nietzsche is dead."?God