On subscriptions

H.W.Fluks@telecom.tno.nl H.W.Fluks at telecom.tno.nl
Mon May 19 15:30:11 CEST 2003

Gary:

> Some discussion has ensued here at to why subscriptions cost
> more that
> buying at the newsstand. As this is about subscriptions to Danish
> publications, I wouldn't know the particulars, but there is this: a
> copy of a comic costs more to mail, even by the most cost-effective
> means, than to place on the newsstand.

In Holland, and probably in other European countries, the subscription
copies are not distributed by mail. We have separate distribution
channels, especially for weekly/monthly magazine subscriptions.

The one that the Dutch Donald Duck is currently using is called Medianet.

Often they use school children or students to do the actual work. I noticed
for instance that during school holidays, my DD copy is in my mailbox on
Friday, while in other weeks it arrives on Saturday. 8-)

And yes: subscriptions *should* be cheaper than buying in the shop.
You give the seller some continuity (e.g. by paying half a year in advance).
But I know the American system works differently.

--Harry.