re Disney Character names in Chinese

xephyr@cwnet.com xephyr at cwnet.com
Wed May 21 04:36:47 CEST 2003

Stefan Persson asked:
> Would you also be able to find the "Han Zi" versions of the names,
> for inclusion in Inducks?

You mean, do I have them available in the actual Chinese characters, too?
Well, at first I was creating a list that included both the Chinese and
Pinyin way of writing the names, but I learned that e-mailing the Chinese
does not work so I stopped half way through and just collected the Pinyin.
Sadly, the problem with even Pinyin is the pronunciation marks are missing
so you really can not see how the names are pronounced properly.  The
Chinese language is incredibly intricate, and the same word in Pinyin can
be pronounced many different ways, and, even worse, written in Chinese even
more different ways, each with a different meaning, or without any meaning
at all (primarily because those words are proper Chinese surnames).  I
admire folks who have the patience to learn Chinese, and even more for
those who can learn the various dialects (Cantonese, Mandarin, etc.).
What's even more bizarre, I learned that both Japanese and Chinese share
some written traits, but not necessarily the pronunciations or meaninings.

I can provide a phonetic source for pronouncing the names fairly well if
that is desired.

For instance:  Mickey Mouse = Mi Lao Shu / Mi Qi
A fair pronunciation of them would be = Mee Low (like cow) Shoo / Mee Chee
Mi Ni = Mee Nee
Gao Fei = Gow (like cow) Fay
Dai Si = Die Sih
Xiao Huai Lang = Show (like cow) H-why Long
Ma Qi Ka = Mah Chee Kuh

Oh, and for the record, in my previous list, the name for Ranger Woodlore
should not have been included. Please eliminate that one as I never did
find any source.

Thanks,
Rich Bellacera
Rich Bellacera