Disney Character names in Chinese

Søren Krarup Olesen sko at acoustics.dk
Wed May 21 13:52:23 CEST 2003

RICH + CHRISTINA:

On Wednesday 21 May 2003 12:55, Christina Hellström wrote:
> xephyr at cwnet.com wrote:
> >I have a computer that is set up to write and recognize Chinese
> >characters.... except on the web.  While I know the Characters were
> > fine when I sent them, when I view them on the DCML the Chinese is
> > changed to garbage.
>
> The DCML archive seems to encode the chinese text into html
> characters (taken from 'page source'):
>           Donald Duck = Tang Lao Ya =
> ÌÆÀÏø† and therefore they aren't
> recognized as chinese characters.

That is not the reason. The reason is that (if you study Rich's mail
more carefully), he has set the decoding to ISO-8859-1. This setting is
respected my most e-mail readers as the default for that e-mail
resulting in more or less strange looking characters--although all part
of the 8859-1 of course.

If Rich change that to GB 2312 (as suggested by both Stefan and
Christina), it will work at least under Netscape, Mozilla and KMail (my
own e-mail program)...automatically I mean, so one doesn't have to
setup the encoding manually.

Best,
Søren