New DCML

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Sun May 25 16:55:04 CEST 2003

OLIVER to ROB KLEIN, 25-05-2003:

>>I wonder if we shouldn't try to make a SECOND DCML
>> forum for NON Disney Comics Topics, or "Tangential Topics".

> Great idea!
> How about making it a discussion board rather than a mailing-list?

I don't like the idea of a second DCML, and even less the idea of a
discussion board.

What I like about mailing lists, is that you only need to check for
email to get them. After that, you can even disconnect internet and
easily copy the email(s) to another medium, before you read them.
With a discussion board, this isn't possible. And it even may mean
a lot of clicking on links, instead of just scrolling.

The reason why I don't like a second DCML, is that the chaos may even
get bigger. On DCML we may get emails that turn off-topic, *before*
they go to the second list. (This will result in off-topic emails that
warn other off-topic contributors for being on the on-topic list
instead of the off-topic list.)
On the "SECOND DCML" we may get emails that turn ON-topic, *before*
they go the real DCML. (This will result in off-topic emails that warn
other on-topic contributors for being on the off-topic list instead of
the on-topic list.)

The DCML is a mailing list about Disney comics. If people think that
the tolerance of off-topic emails isn't enough, they can raise their
own clubs elsewhere.

Otherwise raising a mailing list would mean that you have to take care
for emails that share your interest *and* for emails that *don't* share
your interest. In other words: just about every email that gets in your
direction.

--- Daniël, realising that he has just contributed yet-another
    off-topic email  :-)