Disney comics in the Eastern block during the cold war

Kjell Croné kjell.crone at ifsworld.com
Mon May 26 14:09:29 CEST 2003

mateusz lis :
> I think that it was totally Polish work.
> Here is a scan:
> http://gildia.pl/teksty/janusz_pawlak/grafa/myszka

Interesting, indeed. I don't understand the text, but I see the name
"Mickey" below panel 2. Is this really supposed to be Mickey and Minnie
Mouse?
It's quite hard to believe ;-)

I visited Hungary in 1982 (or 81) and I remember they sold chewing gum with
Disney gags inside. They also had Disney toys and similar stuff. But I
didn't see any regular Disney comics. (Hungary probably was the most liberal
country of the Eastern block in the 1980s)

I also visited Prague in Czechoslovakia and I saw large film posters from
the Jungle Book.
Mateusz, did you get these Disney movies in Poland too?

Yugoslavia had Disney comics at least since the 1960s. But they didn't
belong to the "block", so that's a bit OT.

Kjell