Disney in the East Bloc

Anita B og Erlend V Enget abeenget at frisurf.no
Mon May 26 15:59:32 CEST 2003

I read with interest the report from Poland having "Disney" comics back in the late 40's/50's. I found this especially interesting as I remembered me and my family's trip thru Yugoslavia, Romania and Hungary in 1985.

Yugoslavia had a valid license with Disney and issued comics in several languages. Though, neither Romania, nor (indeed surprisingly) the west oriented Hungary had Disney comics. Hence I had to stick with a Lucky Luke album in Hungary, and less in Romania.

I clearly remember Romania having a *tasteless* chewing gum-look a like candy, packed in paper with either Uncle Scrooge, Uncle Donald or the nephews on the front. No sign of copyright and rather poorly drawn, though still in my collection.

I guess many East Bloc countries had comics and/or products based on several Western comic book characters, i.e. Disney's. Anyone out there having a reasonable explaination of why this was done? To attract Western customers?

Erlend, Norway