Attention Danish Taliaferro fans

Niels Houlberg Hansen NHH at ra.sa.dk
Wed Nov 5 13:51:17 CET 2003

I see that my original message about the Taliaferro reprints has given rise
to a number of follow-up messages.
For those that don't read Danish, here is a translation of the article, so
you can judge for yourselves whether "MetroXpress" is a chauvinistic
newspaper or not.

"As of today our readers can follow the troubles of Donald Duck on this
paper's final pages.
*Oh, bury me thar - with my battered guitar*. This song is noteworthy
because it's Donald Duck's only real success so far. It was a radio hit in
Duckburg and environs. And, well, the duck was also king for a short while,
but apart from that it seems as if Donald Duck never quite found himself at
home in the idyllic, middle-class Duckburg. But for generations the Danes
have loved the morally dubious anti-hero, whereas the American always
preferred the virtuous Mickey Mouse.
Actually Donald Duck first appeared as a secondary character in a cartoon in
1934, but it didn't take him long to embark on his own career. In Denmark
Carl Barks is the best known duck artist. He has a.o. created Scrooge
McDuck. In his version Scrooge is a mean capitalist, a miser with no
reconciling traits and far from the cozy, eccentric Scothman that appears in
the DuckTales shows.
Barks did not, however, work on the daily Donald Duck strip. It was Al
Taliaferro who was asked in 1938 to transfer his film adventures to comic
strips. And he continued to do so right until the 1960s in a unsurpassed
technical quality.
Later he was joined by the no-less talented Tony Strobl, but also capable
Danish artist like Freddy Milton and Flemming Andersen have been successful
in creating clever episodes. Today almost half the global production of
Disney comics is produced by Egmont in Denmark. If the opening panel
contains a *D* it's a sign that the story was produced there."

Apart from the fact that readers might get the impression that Strobl,
Milton and Andersen worked on the newspaper strip like Taliaferro, I think
it's a pretty decent article.

To Anders Christian and Søren:
Yes, I'll cut out the article and scan it.
I'm also going to cut out the strips every day so they can be indexed if
need be.

If nothing else, this proves that I have too much time to spare, when I've
got time to translate an entire newspaper article. ;-)

Regards
Niels